Sunday, June 13, 2010

Black Tide

The southern sky
hanging out there
clear as crystal
suspended over a summer beach...


My island in the sun...
Catch me in the sunlight
standing by the sea,
thinking,
thinking...There isn't a sound...
There are no seagulls here today...
Oh maybe...just one...
Only one.


There are no fishermen...
No, not one...
We feel let down.
I know what's happening to us
and I know why.
Outside myself I stand
looking back in amazement...
Parts of the writings are Rod McKuen...
"Seasons in the Sun"
Parts are me...
Standing in the sand,
at sunset...
Thinking...
Knowing what has happened to our mother ocean,
looking back in amazement.


As I return back to the island cottage,
I keep imagining my island in the sun,
whole,
pure,
healing...
The way she was...








Out beyond my window,
the fan palms move in the island breeze,
and the oleander puts on a colorful show...
I saw a falling star last night,
as I sat out under the night sky.
The birds were singing this morning,
and everything seemed normal...
Everything,
that is,
but
the
black tide...




Yaya




No comments: