Thursday, June 18, 2009

Retreat From the Summer Heat


On a hot summer afternoon,
one must retreat to that special place,
behind closed shutters,
near the secretive balconied windows,
somewhere under a high ceiling,
with slow-turning fans...
In the distance,
I hear a splashing fountain
and the strands of a lone violin.
I smell the scent of the sweet olive tree,
just beneath the window...
I see the draping Spanish Moss,
ever so elegant...suspended in Southern time...
Deep in the heart of the old South.
My South...
My home...
Blessings
*****Yaya*****

2 comments:

Debbie in CA : ) said...

I think Summer arrived yesterday. Warm hot sun in the daytime left a balmy evening to linger in. Delicious!

I love your languid prose in praise of summer's southern dance. I shall grab Cross Creek this afternoon and nestle onto the deck in wickered arms and enjoy summer's dance here in my own mountain home. : D

asouthernsunset said...

Debbie, thank you for visiting my little place beneath my Southern sky, and for taking the time to leave such a nice comment.

I only had a minute, but I dropped by your lovely blog and enjoyed it very much! I'll be back to see you often and hopefully I can stay longer and read more of your posts.

Yaya