Saturday, May 3, 2008

Good Housekeeping 1903 Edition

Not so long ago, I was out on a treasure hunt and came across this wonderful reproduction of the original 1903 edition of the Good Housekeeping Everyday Cook Book.



If I should follow the rules of the fine housekeeper, it's time to clean the pantry.



Care of the Pantry
It tells me that neatness and order in my pantry will depend in great measure upon the way my table is cleared. It also tells me if I look upon the pantry as a dumping ground, then dirt and disorder will be inevitable, but if on the contrary I consider it a workshop to be kept shipshape I will avoid these dangers!


Not only is it time to do the spring cleaning and re-organizing, but this wonderful little book tells me when I have finished washing my dishes, always leave the pan or sink perfectly clean. Once a week I am even expected to wash down the pipes with a strong solution of salsoda and water that is actually boiling, not simply hot.



I have also been told that I am to make up my mind in the beginning where to lay the knives. I do have a drawer for that as well......so far so good.




Did it say organize by items? Okay, there is work to be done.






And more work to be done........






And all of the pantry shelves must be wiped and dusted.....now that's almost reason enough to stop collecting......but not quiet!







And more dishes to wash and more shelves to clean and I have only just started....Looks as if the spring cleaning of the pantry will carry into next week.
Miss Downing also says: "I have found in my teaching that only pupils who do not know how to wash them properly dislike the washing of dishes."
Merciful heavens.....so that has been my problem all along.
Thought For The Day...
Will it be easy? Of course not. The worthwhile, the best never is.
ClingCling the crystal rings.....a toast to spring cleaning.








No comments: